Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Twenty years of Muzic

The post has been lying in the drafts folder forever, I mean for .... five years! The post about a school girl in Navy blue pleated skirt and white shirt with remote in hand at 8.00 am one fine morning many years ago. As sathyaraj smeared santhanam(sandal) on his screen sister(for the nth time),  her mom whizzes by saying, "ethu oru song nalla eruku"(one song is good). The girl pressed the ff button. Then the man in an 'Odam' appears. 

She replayed the song atleast once more that day before she headed out to the school bus.

First things first, there is a girl in the universe who is currently writing about how she wasnt born when AR made his debut.I am not that girl. That brings questions. I havent really liked any music director as much after AR.  Will I become one of those of fans commenting on every video of the future rockstar music director( whoever that be) saying how awesome AR is, and how he and only he deserves Oscar.  Claim music is only music if it is from Rahman and the rest is all PR ?*

Whatever.

But from that day when I told my brothers about the music which sounded just like the ads with inbetween stories of the shop owner calling home right after the cassette hit his store( my brother had bugged him as much) to today when I literally lol  in my head realizing how behind the glass wall members of the fitness19 across the road seemed to be in perfect sync with the katiya karun blasting on my  iphone earplugs.... AR Rahman, I am so glad you came to the scene.


**PS:  yeah thats what I see in each Ar rahman's video - Illayaraja's name.  I like illayaraja too. I am just not that fan who comments about Illayaraja in Ar's video or viceversa.




2 comments:

  1. haha. everyone has an experience like this one. Playing white colored (IIRC) Roja cassette over and over again one fine 1992 afternoon. Not sure if I was overwhelmed by a film score ever before that.(I was only 7). 20 years already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7?
    again 7?

    I always thought i became a fan coz it coincided with my preteen years - age exactly when you start discovering muzic.

    may be it isnt the age may be it was HIS musci!

    ReplyDelete