Saturday, April 9, 2011

Why smart men date less intelligent women


 I know! Did I just link to timesofindia? Especially an article on relationships  which are mostly just cut and paste jobs out of some western magazine. Even otherwise, who quotes times of India. period.

But the one covered by this link is something I think about too. Same way,  I think about other vetti topics  About smart men and their preference for less intelligent women.

1. Ofcourse, there is a lot that goes into a marriage than Intelligence quotient.(On the other hand, sometimes no consideration goes into marriage as well.)  Also, let me further my  politically correct act even though I give two hoots really and call the less intelligent woman, as differently talented.

2. One line from the article that did strike a chord with me - for a very highly career driven person, it would help if  " "someone who prioritizes their life in a way that's compatible with how you prioritize yours.""  - This makes sense to me.
It would be a total nightmare when both of you want to spend 24 hours wedded to your laptop and stay all the extra hours at office. 

3. But there is still the problem of coming back home to find a partner who doesnt get the ABC's of your world.. in any which way .. to discuss news in the in-depth way you want or office politics, exciting news in your field.

4. Which brings me to the fourth point.  I do think quite a few Men(not all Men, as with everything else  in life, this isnt a  black and white configuration) get intimidated by intelligent Woman. Woman who can constantly question your random analysis, can win discussions, tell you something you dont know  - all these arent easy to deal with for quite a few men.

Contrast this to the woman in scenario #3 whose own pride might come from the guy's success. Since her interest is not in  news discussions, she is just going to marvel at all your mutterings.

Ego boast with #3 as opposed to constant arguments,  questioning the intelligent bubble that surround you?  

Age old traditions chip in and I find quite a few Indian men comfortable with former than the latter scenario.

5. I have, in my social circle found men who did look for a more intelligent partner. Also to note failed because those intelligent women were pining for more intelligent men themselves! This is a increasing number of men.( my social sphere is a very very small part of india).

A driven Woman should also find it easier if her husband takes it easy, no?

This reminds me of some other conversation I had. Men go by beauty, I said to a guy who was hosting me in grad school. He replied, and Woman go by success and  talent, how is it any better?

A successful woman would want atleast an equally successful person. I am not saying both cant be successful. Merely observing the trends  as and how it is happening around.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment