Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My thoughts on piracy - some one else's words :)

I know not what SOPA and PIPA are but these are pretty much thoughts on piracy too.

" I think something else is going on. I believe that downloaders are making a moral calculation and coming to the conclusion that the content industry immorally perpetuates an artificial scarcity to maximize their profits at the expense of users and artists. They understand that content is a non-rival good, that unlike an apple, they can consume it without diminishing anyone else’s ability to consume the same thing. They know that the content owner paid nothing to reproduce or distribute the content on the Internet. They also know that the artists who created the original content get a tiny fraction of the revenue. So they are making a moral judgement that the content owners are pricing their product to extract unjustifiable profits and they feel morally justified taking the content they find out there on the web.

Except for a line that doesnt apply to me -  "They also know that the artists who created the original content get a tiny fraction of the revenue."  I differ, I think most artists compensated way beyond the pleasure I derive out of hearing their music!

I speaketh from the experience of a person who has done her contribution to the bay area indian music shop and some.

No comments:

Post a Comment